Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Family Pride

My blogless brother Tom has a hobby, wherein he takes 2 hour movies, and edits them down to 30 minutes.

Not just junky Toxic-Avenger-type movies, but even classics like Star Wars.

It was kind of inspired by Red Letter Media's cruel criticisms of the Star Wars Prequels, which, while weird and sick, make excellent points about the art of cinematic storytelling.

And it's a great learning experience, because it's teaching him (and by association, me) to look for what is - and is not - absolutely ESSENTIAL to tell a story.

Turns out a lot of movies are 75% padding, although some are only 65% or 70% padding, which means that sometimes he has to... uh... take "artistic liberties" with some movies. Like that new ending on Star Wars.

I wish I could share these, but unfortunately YouTube shrieks "copyright" if he tries to post them. Although it IS arguably fair use-ish, since he's making a point of criticism about how poorly constructed some of these films are - full of pointless padding and useless reaction shots.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a less rigid video-hosting site, let me know.

Meanwhile, he just finished his condensation of "Pandorum". I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. I've never used LiveLeak but Ed at Hotair says things like "this got yanked from youtube but LiveLeak still has it"

    ReplyDelete