Friday, March 4, 2011

Yes I Know. No, I Don't Care. It's Still Awesome

M.C. Escher's Waterfall:



One of my favorite artworks of all time.

Some guy made a real-life working model of it:


[YouTube direct link]

"But," I hear you object, "it's just a tricky, camera-angle-based optical illusion.

[See the title of this post]

And there's a tiny, boy-child part of me that doesn't want to know how he did it, because sometimes - even for a hard-core, science-bound, compulsive analytic like me - sometimes it's just more fun to believe in magic. That same feeling of wonder, the feeling of "I know it's wrong, but I can't explain why" that looking at Escher's drawings has given me all my life. A shadow-feeling between knowledge and vertigo that's just fun to have, once in a while, in tiny doses, as a contrast to the sharp and pointy real-world that I have to beat my head against every day as a responsible adult.

3 comments:

  1. Damn. My brain made a weird clicking noise when I tried to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE..you are about two viewings of that caramelldansen video away from snapping...breathe man breathe.

    ReplyDelete