Thursday, April 14, 2011

Question for the Smokers

When you light your cigarette, do you find yourself habitually cupping your hand around the flame, even when you're indoors, or even using a windproof lighter?

I was watching "Rescue Me" (one of the few TV shows that doesn't demonize smokers), and noticed the lead character cupping indoors.

I caught myself doing it recently while lighting cigars with a torch lighter with has a flame that couldn't be blown out by a hurricane.

Full disclosure. I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years, and lit a lot of those with butane lighters outdoors, so having this reflex isn't really so surprising. But it's been over 15 years since I dropped the pack-a-day habit, so it IS surprising that I'd STILL have this reflex.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I always cup the flame. The real question for smokers is: What is worse? Not having a cigarette or having a cigarette but not having a way to light it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on whether you have access to a toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever cupped the flame, but this may be because I always buy the torch lighters. When indoors I use a cedar stick for my cigars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's okay... I quit smoking almost thirteen years ago and I still have dreams where I'm a closet smoker.

    ReplyDelete