Saturday, May 7, 2011

Successfully Reached Old Age

I've been putting this day off for a while, but I finally couldn't stand to look at foot-high grass-tufts anymore.

So I mowed the lawn for the first time this year.

While I was doing that, 2 boys, probably brothers, probably about 8 & 10 years old, walked past me on the sidewalk, pushing & shoving each over, as boys do.

Next time I look up, they're still pushing & shoving, but they're doing it standing on my lawn.

I felt an uncontrollable urge to yell at them to "get off my lawn!".

Which I controlled.

But it doesn't matter, because it's too late. A line has been crossed, and there's no going back. This is how it begins.

And we all know this is how it ends:


[YouTube direct link]

6 comments:

  1. So you're going to mentor a Korean kid after he attempts to steal your classic car, eventually sacrificing yourself to put a Korean gang away for good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'll probably just stop after having a tobacco-juice-spitting contest with the Hmong grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new found crotchety-tude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome.

    You will be a great addition to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know... I think you haven't successfully reached old age until you hear yourself shouting the words "Turn that damned noise off." (... and it is actually music that you used to listen to and enjoy.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harvey, I know exactly how you feel. The first time I caught myself saying, "When I was your age..." I knew it was all over.

    ReplyDelete