Sunday, August 21, 2011

Not Sure If It's Appropriate to Be Disappointed, But I'm a Jerk, So It's OK

[Hat tip: bloggranddaughter VW Bug of One Happy Dog Speaks]

I'd heard my name was on the hurricane list this year. Looks like we finally hit Atlantic storm #8, and here's the report:
Tropical Storm Harvey weakened Saturday as it moved across northern Guatemala, while Tropical Storm Irene formed east of the Leeward Islands.

Harvey, which was expected to enter eastern Mexico on Sunday, had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph, according to the Miami-based National Hurricane Center.

As of Saturday night, Harvey was located about 40 miles north-northwest of Tikal, Guatemala.

It was heading west at 14 mph and continued weakening was predicted as the storm moved inland. Harvey could be downgraded to a tropical depression on Sunday and dissipate by Monday, forecasters said.

No tropical warnings or watches were in effect in connection with Harvey.

Well... that's... not very exciting.

40 mph? I make a faster breeze hanging up on telemarketers.

Part of me is glad that no one was hurt, and there's no property damage.

Another part of me is pouting because my storm didn't cut a devastating swath of destruction through the lives of millions of innocents, such that the World Meteorological Organization would be forced to retire the name, and it would live on forever to be spoken of only in whispers, much like Bart Starr's number on the Lambeau Field Ring of Honor is talked about in Dallas.

Ah well. I get another shot in 2018. Keep your fingers crossed.

[Note: Spotty Bloggers Anonymous, Day 2]

5 comments:

  1. Heh! Harvey, I just happen to be one of the few...the proud...the retired.

    Yep, 1992...I remember it well!

    I was a nasty booger, and earned it!

    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hurricane-andrew-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear it was so... nothing... they don't get up to the Vs very often... so don't look for me anytime soon. I don't have a chance to being a hurricane ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I chuckled when we saw 'Harvey'...we figured he's down there, tearing up a few cantinas in typical Harvey fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And hush your mouth about hoping for a bad 'Harvey'...we who live in hurricane country don't want storms wished on us. Although if Irene were to come in as a low category 1 and close school for a few days, I wouldn't complain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you this morning when I saw 'Harvey'.

    He doesn't look too bad, but another storm called Irene is heading right for us in south Florida. :(

    ReplyDelete