Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Been There, Played That

How quaint. A video game that lets you live on $9 an hour by making "tough choices.":
Most Americans know the facts about low-wage work, but many have been lucky enough to avoid actually having to live on $8 or $9 an hour.

A computer game called Spent gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to walk in a poor person’s shoes.
Yeah, well, I'm not a stranger to this, so let's play.

"Would you like to be a server, a warehouse worker or a temp?"

Well, I chose pizza delivery. Say goodbye to your evenings and weekends if you want to make $9 an hour.

"Should you pay to get your pet medical care, or let the animal suffer?"

Get a male cat (cheaper to fix) and keep him indoors his whole life. Pricey medical problem = dirt nap. Then get a new cat.

"Should you go to the dentist or suffer yourself and save some bucks?"

Brushing and flossing are your friend. Do it regularly.

"Should you let your child and a friend get ice cream, or do you need that $5 for bills?"

Child can save up his meager allowance and buy his own ice cream.

Other choices - drive a rusty old car and have your mechanically adept brother help you keep it running.

Eat a lot of Ramen.

Stay home and watch TV or play video games for entertainment.

Yeah, it's not necessarily a lot of fun to have to think about money before every decision, but no one ever said life was always fun or easy.

Oh, and if you get any kind of "surprise windfall" lump of money, sock it away instead of living large.

Finally, a credit card is for convenience, not credit.

[SBA day 39]

4 comments:

  1. Having supported our family of 3 on $6 an hour for a couple of years... I'm wondering where the money comes from for video games along with the game console itself? heh. We were well below the poverty line back then and we survived. We had nothing. It can be done - although most people really don't understand the concept of what is really necessary to survive... LOL. I am always astounded at the stuff people have yet they are considered "poor"... wow.

    As for teeth - I brush and floss religiously and it makes no difference... some of us are born with dental issues. Thus we pay through the nose to keep the teeth we have even if we take good care of them. Oh well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be really old, I remember when nine bucks an hour was pretty good money.

    To prove that I'm really old I don't know jack shit about video games. I played Pong some,it was really boring.

    Also to prove I'm old I know the difference between loose and lose. I dunno what that has to do with your topic, it just pisses me off when otherwise intelligent people do not, or can not, figure out the difference.

    Oh, and Get off the lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been playing that game in real life for the past three years. And I taught myself how to work on cars in order to keep my rustbucket running.

    And that windfall? Disappeared while using it to catch up on past due bills.

    ReplyDelete