Sunday, September 18, 2011

Not Racism

Via Winning at Everything:



What caught my eye was that this post was tagged (among other things) as "subtle racism".

Nope. It's not.

The dictionary says racism is "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement."

The Life cereal folks aren't going by belief. They're basing their packaging designs on market research and sales data.

I haven't seen this data, but here's what I infer:

Black people are more likely to buy sugary cereals.

I don't know if that's true, but I assume it is, because corporations tend to pursue profitable marketing strategies, and marketing strategies based on bad data usually aren't profitable.

1 comment:

  1. May have been because their particular skin tone fit the color of the package better as well.

    ReplyDelete