Thursday, September 29, 2011

Presidential Pandering

Here's what Obama said during his "back to school speech":

"Teachers are the men and women who might be working harder than anybody."

Might be, but they're not.

No offense, teachers. Yes, you're doing stuff all day for money. Yes, you're tired at the end of the day.

But working HARD?

PFFFFFT!

HARD work is the stuff you see featured on a show narrated by Mike Rowe.

Put it this way: if your work doesn't involve you having to wear some sort of safety gear, or if you don't end the day reeking of the insides of some sort of food-animal, your job ain't HARD.

Full disclosure - I ain't worked hard since I wore steel-toed boots and earplugs in the Navy, and that gig ended in 1991.

[SBA day 41]

5 comments:

  1. I, unfortunately, work hard by that definition around 60 hours a week.

    That said, I'll take my machines over a class of screaming hellbeasts anyday.

    My machines don;t have parents who sue my ass when I get pissed and smack them with a hammer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harv, you remember how the inside of our high school smelled?
    OH yeah and I think a Kevlar vest counts as safety equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB - maybe. I used to carry a gun when I worked in the cash vault, but that was more of a "defensive tool" than safety equipment.

    Unless you're ducking enemy fire on a daily basis, I don't know if security counts as "hard".

    So maybe Mall Cop in Compton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a teacher I think I can honestly say I work my ass off and I would never refer to my job as "working hard". Construction in South Dakota, yup. Teaching. Nope. A little mental stress for six hours a day one hundred and eighty days a year is not hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it depends on your definition of 'Hard Work.'

    The obvious choice/definition would be any work that is difficult.

    Which includes physical labor (re: Mike Rowe, and what a hottie he is!!) but it also includes work that is not necessarily physically difficult but mentally difficult as well.

    So 'hard work' could be teaching.

    With that said, I define hard work as any work I prefer not to do and hire out. LOL

    ReplyDelete