Saturday, October 29, 2011

Candidate's Favorite Movies

The Washington Times has the list, and frankly, I find it disconcerting, at best.

Now, I'm gonna start off by giving Herman Cain a pass. He said "The Godfather", which was obviously just a reference to his days working for Godfather's Pizza. We don't really know what his favorite movie is. All we've done is confirm that he has a sense of humor, and we already know that.

Newt says "Casablanca". Really? That movie is horrid. I saw it once, and it's really just standard 40's fare. The dialogue is labored, the acting is wooden and the hero ends up with a cowardly Frenchman instead of the girl. Just garbage.

Bachmann says "Braveheart". I just watched this recently. What did she love? The gratuitous violence and gore? The ending torture scene? The painfully slow pacing? The hero dies. Not a good movie. She also picked "Saving Private Ryan", where a bunch of good men die (in a graphically gory way) to save one semi-good man. Not worth it. And I suspect Bachmann isn't either.

Santorum said "Field of Dreams". Really? I'm guessing this means Santorum has MAJOR daddy issues.

Paul didn't even pick one. Nuff said.

Gary Johnson: Dr. Zhivago. Long, boring, tragic, Russian. I wanted to kill myself after watching this movie. I suspect a Johnson presidency would have a similar effect.

Perry picked "Immortal Beloved". Let's see... the most brilliant composer Germany has ever produced, and this film twiddles on about his love life. So... Perry's good at missing the big picture? Is that what I'm to gather from this?

Mitt? He say "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Really? A movie where a more-or-less random succession of events happens to a band of losers?

Then there's Obama: "Casablanca" (see above), Lawrence of Arabia (Western man goes native in a world of savage Muslims - oh please!), The Godfather (murderous mobsters?), and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - the main character is a pedophile who gets smothered after he has a lobotomy. One of the worst movies ever filmed.

Personally, I want my future President to pick "The Princess Bride." It's perfectly quotable, the wronged man gets revenge, and the hero gets the girl. Movies just don't get any better than that.

Seriously, if your favorite movie doesn't include the good guy winning, you probably don't have the right attitude to rule the greatest nation on earth.

Pipe-dream-wise, I'd like to hear "The Fountainhead" - hero wins AND gets the girl. Now THAT'S an all-American movie.

I'd settle for Cyrano de Bergerac with Jose Ferrrar - message: NEVER compromise your principles.

Or even "Galaxy Quest": "Never give up, never surrender."

Heck, that should be printed on our currency.

10 comments:

  1. If I were running, I'd say the same thing I'd say now: Uncle Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see someone say HBO's John Adams miniseries.

    I would have said Sharktopus, and mumbled something about defense funding priorities when I"M in charge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    The right people get killed, there is honor and humor and it's Clint EASTWOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we got that covered. The American movie critic in chief needs to tell us where they stand on this important issue before we give them the keys to the executive movie screening room at the White House.

    It is certainly more important than their views on foreign policy, the national debt, budget priorities, legislative agenda or boring-old politics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Army of Darkness. The proper Presidential thing to do is quote the "boomstick" line just before nuking Tehran.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serenity (The Firefly one)

    Princess Bride (definitely one of the most quotable movies ever)

    When Harry Met Sally

    I liked Lawrence of Arabia. I think the Middle East was arguably a different place then and the view of Islam much less radical since the Wahabbis were a minor and unknown sect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I wanted to kill myself after watching this movie. I suspect a Johnson presidency would have a similar effect."

    Heh!

    "Slingblade." Or, "The Postman." Or...well, I don't know...

    Those really aren't my favorites, but I'm not running for anything so it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Princess Bride" or "Men in Black" -- there are some folks who know how to deal with the problem of Illegals: blow them up from the inside out!

    "Galaxy Quest" would work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've already HAD a Johnson presidency. Look how that turned out.

    I would choose "People will talk". Cary Grant, guy gets girl, brainy busybody professor (Hume Cronyn) gets humiliated by a half wit (Finlay Currie) model trains, and "Gaudeamus Igitur"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love many movies from the 30s and 40s including Casablanca. I love many movies from today too. Not sure I could pick a favorite. Possibly "Serenity"... Or (one that would most certainly get me kicked out of any election and therefore has great merit..) "The Replacement Killers" or even "Assassin in Love". Of course Galaxy Quest goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete