Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Nope

Michael Barone has it exactly wrong:
But I think Cain's current lead is evidence of a larger and longer-range trend that is both heartening and disturbing.

I call it the revolt against the experts.

It has been going on for a long time. In the years after World War II, when pollsters first started testing confidence in leaders and institutions, midcentury Americans expressed great confidence and respect for experts and those at the head of large organizations.
[...]
Confidence in leaders and respect for expertise fell in the years that gave us the Vietnam War, Watergate and stagflation. They're at a low point now, after years in which experts seemed to fail in Iraq and at home.

No.

I like Herman Cain because he IS an expert.

At leadership.

At problem-solving.

At the free market.

What I'm revolting against is the establishment-class of meddling nanny-statists.

2 comments:

  1. If anything has brought about the demise of experts, it is the general trend of experts being no better at stuff in the real world than average people. First, get results, then tell me what an expert you are. I pay my mechanic to fix my car because he can prove he is better at it than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few issues with Cain's economics plan, but the guy has something the rest don't: Results.

    Ok, Romney has results too, but in the wrong direction...

    ReplyDelete