Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Alive

Saw this picture at American Digest:



And for some reason my brain immediately answered "yes".

Here's when:

Back in the late 1980's, I was in the Navy, stationed on board the Enterprise, which at the time was home-ported in Alameda, California (fans of Star Trek IV may remember this). I didn't own a car at the time. I got everywhere I needed to go via bicycle. The Bay Area has a nice public transportation system, (Bay Area Rapid Transit, or BART trains) which allowed you to bring your bike on board.

The problem was that Alameda was an island separated from Oakland by 1000 feet of water, and the nearest BART station was in Oakland.

However, there's a mile-long tunnel under the water called the Posey Tube. The road was two narrow, shoulderless lanes, and biking that would've been instant death. However, the Posey Tube also had a pedestrian walkway. So I'd ride my bike on that.

Couple things you should know: it's only about 4 feet wide, and it goes downhill for half a mile, then uphill for half a mile.

And what I used to do was coast down that half mile full speed without touching the brakes, probably going about 30 mph, with a wall a foot from one hand, and a rail a foot from the other. If I sneezed or flinched or hit a pebble, I'd have been broken and bleeding.

But oh... I felt so alive.

Anyway, I'm not the only lunatic on the planet, and this lunatic had a camera. Probably want to jump ahead to the 1:30 mark, as he gets ready to enter the Tube itself.

At about 2:45, he gets stuck behind a jogger and you get a feel for how really narrow the walkway is:


[YouTube direct link] (Viewer #869)

Side note: I never met anyone coming the other way on my trips, but I did get stuck behind someone once. It's so deafeningly loud in there from the traffic that I couldn't get his attention. I walked for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! 0_o That is terrifying! And yet looks fun! :^D

    ReplyDelete