Friday, January 20, 2012

Rapidly Going Off on a Tangent

I see that, while popping into Disney World to give a speech (and wreck a bunch of people's vacations because of the requisite security precautions), Obama had this to say about meeting Mickey Mouse:

"Nice to meet a world leader who has bigger ears than me!"

Which reminds me: I don't like Mickey Mouse.

It's nothing personal, it's just that I don't enjoy him as a cartoon character. Mostly because he's all cartoon, and no character.

Illustrating by way of contrast, let's look at the Warner Bros. stable:

Bugs Bunny
Daffy Duck
Porky Pig
Yosemite Sam
Elmer Fudd
Road Runner
Marvin the Martian

Think of any of those names, and you can probably quote a catchphrase and describe their habitual activities.

Which raises the questions:

What does Mickey Mouse say?
What does Mickey Mouse do?

Good luck with those.

Mickey is a flavorless, unmemorable, generic little puppet. As are all the other talking critters that populate his world.

Now, to be clear, I'm not bashing Disney - they've created a merchandising empire from these bland, pointless nothings. They're the Apple of animation. Good for them.

I'm also not saying the characters aren't "good". Millions of people adore them. That's wonderful, and I hold no resentment over that.

I'm just saying, I find them boring.

With the exception of Uncle Scrooge McDuck, who - despite being a borderline-racist-stereotype of a penny-pinching Scot - is basically an unapologetically greedy capitalist.

What's not to love?

4 comments:

  1. I'm more of a RoadRunner guy myself.

    But, Bugs is right up there in my top 5.

    Foghorn Leghorn, too.

    Loves me some Pepe LePew.

    Obama...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, when you mentioned Foghorn, his description popped into my head: "a rooster with a Southern accent and a loud manner, full of bluster and arrogance, who habitually hums 'Camptown Races' to himself".

    And again, for the sake of contrast, Mickey is:

    "a mouse that talks"

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% in agreement here. Warner Brothers kicks Disney's ass.
    It seems the Ducks are the only characters that are even remotely interesting. Scrooge McDuck (and Huey, Dewey, and Louie with Scrooge in Ducktales), Darkwing Duck, even Donald has interesting irrational mood swings and a speech impediment.

    The rest? Pah.

    Too bad ol' Walt wasn't attacked by a pit bull while brainstorming character ideas instead of besieged with vermin.

    ReplyDelete