Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Somehow Not Buying It

So a bunch of 3rd graders perform a song about being in the "99 percent", and the adults in charge are claiming that the kids did it all on their own:
"Students aren't told what to write by either school officials or by the people associated with Kid Pan Alley," he said. "I've talked with teachers and they tell me you'd be amazed at how creative a lot of children are these days - even younger than that."

"I've spoken with the Kid Pan Alley people, the principal and they all say the same thing - kids aren't told what to write and you would be surprised or amazed at how creative and how thoughtful children even at that age are," he said.
When I was in 3rd grade, I was 9 years old. I'm not sure where I was exactly in math, but I know I didn't have my multiplication tables memorized until 4th grade, so I'm guessing I probably didn't have a firm grasp on percentages.

As for wealth divisions... I understood from TV that some people had more money than others, but having a grasp of "fairness of wealth distribution"? Nah.

So... resentment over the "unfairness" of it? Inconceivable.

So when they claim the third graders "picked the topic"... let's just say I'm a touch dubious.

What happened is that the adults in charge picked the topic, took the 9-year-olds' lack of strenuous objections as approval, and plowed ahead with the project, giving them great, heaping scoops of "editorial suggestions" along the way.

Like this part:

"Couldn’t make life rhyme
Then the bubble burst"

Yes, because 9-year-olds are very concerned with the work-family balance and whether it "rhymes", not to mention being desperately worried about economic bubbles collapsing.

Or would be if they know what "work-family balance" and "economic bubbles" were.

1 comment:

  1. I teach elementary...and there's no way in hell kids created these lyrics 'themselves'. Not even my high group. As an educator, I'm appalled that those 'teachers' felt a divisive political statement made for good performance art.

    Okay...I admit one time I did ask the kids if it was a good thing to share stuff if you had a lot of things with someone who didn't have a lot. Oh, yeah, I got a lot of head-nodding. Then I asked if someone didn't have anything, should the person with a lot be 'made' to give some to the poor person who didn't have anything, even if they didn't try to work for it. Again, a lot of head nodding. So then I told them that I'm glad they thought that way, because I was going to take away some of their grade points to give to some kids in another class who didn't have an 'A'. Then all the kids would get 'C's...and both sets would have 'something'.

    All of a sudden, that kind of sharing didn't appeal to them.

    ReplyDelete