Friday, January 6, 2012

Worst. Pandering. Ever.

How can you tell when Romney's angling to bamboozle a voting bloc whose values he doesn't share?

His lips are moving.

Or in this case, his tell-tale pretzel-knot-awkward use of the language (emphasis added):
"The National Labor Relations Board, now stacked with union stooges selected by the President, says to a free enterprise like Boeing, 'You can't build a factory in South Carolina because South Carolina is a Right to Work state.' That is simply un-American. It is political payback of the worst kind."

Sorry, Mittens, but "free enterprise" is an economic system, not a synonym for "private business".

This brilliant little gaffe just tells me what I already know: Romney doesn't know the meaning of the words "free enterprise".

Kinda reminds me of someone else who's unfamiliar with common English phrases.

5 comments:

  1. Are we really going to be that nit picky with a bunch of people who are up 20 hours a day for weeks at a time doing the campaign thing? The Dems do it to every R candidate, the Rs do it to D candidates. Unless it is constant (think Biden) maybe we should just relax and ignore the occasional gaffe. Hell, I'm no fan of Mittens, but I don't think this kind of mis-statement is any indication of where he stands or his overall abilities or intelligence, any more than the "potatoe" thing was a reflection on Dan Quayle. Anyway, it's not like he said there were 57 states or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full disclosure - I'm in this for the blog-fodder, so I may sometimes make a big deal out of things that don't deserve the attention, simply because I hate the candidate.

    Not the case here. If this were an off-the-cuff statement during an extemporaneous Q&A, I'd admit that you caught me being a dick about it.

    However, this line was in a campaign ad. People script this, and a lot of people have to look at and approve the script, and they all agreed that the non-standard usage of "free enterprise" was a good idea.

    That decision DOES say something about the candidate and what he stands for, and I'm standing by my analysis of it.

    So nothing personal, but I have to disagree with you in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've convinced me. After reading what various conservative bloggers have written about the various Republican candidates, I think I'll just stay home this November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bashing of Obama for using his own words for what Jesus taught him only shows your bias. Jesus did talk about being one's brother's keeper; just not the quote from Exodus.

    The quote even says he is talking about 'the kind of life' he thought Jesus would want him to live.

    If you read many of the evangelicals' political positions one can't believe Jesus would support them.

    GW claimed to be a reborn guy but he had no problem killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians, er I mean collateral damage, or to help the rich and not the poor which is the OPPOSITE of what Jesus did during his life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flad - I freely admit my bias, but my point remains valid: normal Christians memorize and recite Bible verses, and normal Americans memorize and recite passages from the Constitution.

    Obama paraphrases. That's just weird.

    Anyway, if you have any examples of Republican paraphrasing, please share. Otherwise, the rest of your comment is simply off-topic.

    ReplyDelete