Friday, May 25, 2012

Only Fools Believe in the Foolproof

From BBC:
"If I were empress of the Universe I would insist on every individual having a unique ID permanently attached - a barcode if you will; an implanted chip to provide an easy, fast inexpensive way to identify individuals.
[...]
Anonymity would be impossible as would mistaken identity making it easier to place responsibility accurately"

A few things:

* She's obviously never seen the movie "Gattaca". There's no security system that can't be over-ridden, hacked or foiled, because a security system has to defend against ALL attacks. Attackers only have to get past one weakness.

* Mistaken identity impossible? HA! Some human being has to have access to the database, which means that some human being can screw something up, either unintentionally, or with malice aforethought.

* That last phrase is very telling - "place responsibility accurately." It's a pretty safe bet that she intends to be the one in charge of what gets placed on whom, and with a well-carved-out responsibility exemption for herself.

For the good of the system, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Never take bets againt the universe being able to create a better fool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same reason I write my name inside all my books. Helps me identify my property.

    ReplyDelete