Friday, May 25, 2012

Slinky on a Treadmill


[YouTube direct link] (Viewer #1,219,034)

At first, I thought, "ok, this is kinda cool, but there's no way I'm gonna stay interested for over 3 minutes."

Well, turns out that, since the slinky kinda wanders all over the treadmill due to the vagaries of physics, I not only stayed interested, I found myself actually ROOTING for the little guy when he'd get too close to the edges.

"comeoncomeoncomeon YOU CAN DO IT!"

So I'm thinking this video might be sort of a Rorschach Test to see whether you prefer to see people succeed or fail.

So... are you "Team Walk" or "Team Fall"?

6 comments:

  1. If leaning towards the left of my seat subconsciously trying to 'help' the slinky head in the 'safe' directions, I guess I'm 'Team Walk'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone else want to put a slinky on an escalator now, or is that just me?
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was like watching Shadow emerge from the woods in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey...or the monster climbing the tower in Young Frankenstein. I just wanted to reach out and help! So I'm Team Walk. Now. However, get a few drinks in me, add a room full of people watching...and I'd just as likely be yelling for an epic fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking it's the Theme Music that lends the emotional context that makes me care if the slinky 'makes it' or not.
    Never underestimate the power of a good theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4of7 - I'll agree the music is well-chosen, but I don't think it makes or breaks my rooting for the slinky.

    I get a similar come-on-you-can-do-it feeling for my Roomba when he gets stuck on a rug or a piece of furniture.

    And yes, my Roomba is male. Name of Thumper:

    http://badexample2.blogspot.com/2011/01/poor-mans-roomba.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. trusting your judgment, I went ahead and watched it via my iPad so it could play on my big-ass tv via the apple tv. Well played, sir. I, too, cheered the little guy on. As did the husband.

    ReplyDelete