Sunday, December 16, 2012

How to Fix Warped Tupperware, Rubbermaid, and Plastic Microwavable Food Container Lids

I'm very fond of Rubbermaid Premier food storage containers, mostly because - unlike my old plastic microwave containers, they don't stain when you heat tomato-based food in them.

[Not a paid endorsement. I honestly like the product. Pricey, but durable.]

But the other day, I heated up some food, but I didn't get to it for a while. Unfortunately, the food cooled off, created a vacuum in the container, and sucked the lid into a permanent reverse-convex shape.

Uh oh...

Taking a hint from this forum, I tried reversing the process by boiling water in the container with the lid on tight, hoping that the steam pressure would pop the lid back into shape.

Didn't work. Still reverse-convex.

However, the lid was still warm & pliable, so, as mentioned in the forum, I put a plate on it to press it back into shape, and then put something heavy on the plate.

I let it cool off, and now it's back to normal.

Hopefully it will work for you, too.

6 comments:

  1. You're gonna make someone a good wife someday.

    make sure you keep her in the tupperware so she doesn't spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... we are going to be having a cold weather camping trip with a few other bloggers soon...... and there is room for you....... think about it, and then make the trip...... as soon as it snows in Tennessee, we will change your life with a short trek up Starr Mountain in the snow.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can play in my warped kitchen any time! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Og - Oh no... no more marriages... I'm done with that crap.

    I might make someone a good girlfriend, though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just make sure you use the best parts you can dig up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did exactly the same thing that harvey did to a regular rubbermaid container (red lid). I put water in and started heating it in the microwave and then said maybe I should check this on the Internet. So, I did while it was heating up and read this and expected it wouldn't work. So I got it out and low and behold, it had returned to normal shape. Then I went to the original forum which was for a "Tupperware" lid and said to put it in cold water immediately. So I filled it up with cold water and put the lid on and had cold water run on the lid until cool and voila it is back to normal. Maybe it didn't work on the container as it wasn't warm enough, but mine never even got to boiling, which wouldn't have worked anyway as the lid was too loose to contain the steam. I wonder if filling it completely putting the lid on tight and freezing it, if that would reverse the convex distortion when the water froze and expanded.

    ReplyDelete