Friday, January 11, 2013

It Ain't the Violence, It's Who You're Laying the Violence on

In recent gun control arguments, I hear a lot of rumblings about how we should "ban violent video games".

Dumb.

I've been playing violent video games for about 20 years. I've shot of lot of demons, Nazis, drug gangs, criminals, and space aliens.

That's a GOOD thing, because all these pixelated marauders were EVIL. They were trying to take over the planet (or at least the city), and they killed a lot of innocent people along the way. They deserved to die.

Now, I also tried playing a game called "Postal", which involved shooting innocent people on the streets for no reason. Strictly speaking, it was exactly the same as the other games - click, bang, dead - but without the feeling that I was fighting on the side of justice, I got no satisfaction.

Most violent video games that I'm aware of have you killing bad guys. Now, I've never played anything from the Grand Theft Auto series, but I've heard that game rewards you for killing innocents. I wouldn't ban it, but I'd suggest parents keep it away from impressionable children.

My point? Violence is good when it makes bad people die. If your video game does that, play it a lot. That's an attitude that should be promoted.

4 comments:

  1. I used to work for EBGames back when the first 3D Grand Theft Auto came out. We'd warn parents about what was in it, you're rewarded for killing cops/military if your wanted level is high enough, in that you don't get caught. You go to prostitutes to get your health back, and while the game doesn't reward you for killing civilians, it doesn't really punish you for it either (If a cop sees it happen you'll gain a wanted level, but that's minor). In the large number of people we told about the game, only one person decided not to get it for their kid.

    Most parents that I've come across just don't seem to care "Oh, it's a video game, what could possibly be bad about a video game". Then someone starts blaming the games, and rather than "Oh, I should parent better" it's "We must ban the games!" Makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always taught my kids what my daddy taught me, that violence is two things. First, violence is a tool. Like any other tool it can be used for good or for ill.

    The second thing I taught them is that violence is also an unpredictable beast. If you open the door to violence you have no call to complain if you get bit. I don't know from video games. I do know that once I had about five-six years on the job I got to bring my county cruiser home so they could sometimes call me out at odd times. I'd come home, hang my uniform shirt or jacket on the coat tree, hang my Sam Browne belt with my service revolver and all that other heavy crap on it on the next hook down. My kids never shot up a school.

    Bemind me to tell you about the time the drunks down the street of my then house started actin' the fool and I charged out in my boxers with my uniform shirt on, unbuttoned and my carbine in my hand. If only I had been wearing long red underwear and a big hat it would have been classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play the Sims. They recently gave us zombies, but no guns to kill them. I'm so confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's mostly the music industry, Hollywood, and television that are making evildoers seem "cool" these days. Rap music is all about violence and debauchery. There may be a few exceptions, but not many.

    Off topic, but this might interest you:

    3D Print your own high capacity magazines and other firearms parts

    ReplyDelete