Saturday, January 12, 2013

Message to My Younger Self (Or Not)

Sarah Hoyt has an interesting post about what (if anything) you would tell your younger self if you could go back in time.

Well, despite some recent "setbacks", I'm not sure I'd want to change anything. I'm in a pretty good position right now, all things considered. I've been able to work from home for the last 3 years, and the ability to pull a paycheck while dressed in sweats with a purring cat on your lap is nothing to be trifled with.

Not sure I'd want to risk losing that.

But still, the one risk I think I'd take is to tell me to read "The Lively Art of Writing". Probably about when I was 10.

See, I'd done a lot of reading (probably had about a thousand checkouts on my library card by that point), and I knew what good writing LOOKED like, but I never thought I could do it myself.

Because I didn't know HOW to write well, I did horribly in English & Creative Writing classes all through school. What I didn't know was that writing was as much science as art, and that one book could explain it all (or at least explain enough).

I was introduced to this book when I was 17. Had I read it earlier, I think my life could've been even better than it is today.

So... anything you'd do for yourself as a kid?

8 comments:

  1. no.

    I used to play a game with myself; knowing what I know now, if I could go back and do it all again, what would I do?

    Now I have a child who is as important to me as life itself. I would not change a moment of anything to risk her not being exactly as she is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could go back in time I would tell Past Me two important NSFW things:

    1) Always masturbate before every major life decision. (Hell, do it before minor life decisions too)

    2) Never masturbate too soon after eating hot wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey - I'll add

    3) Never piss after slicing jalapeno peppers, even if you washed your hands thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might try to convince myself I don't need the brass knuckles to masturbate. Would save me a lot of grief later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, you never know what one small decision made differently would end up totally ruining your life. It might make things better, but no one ever thinks about it making things worse. (kinda like people who talk about having past lives and saying they were kings or queens or something... they were never dirt poor or in jail. ha) I'll stick with my life as I lived it. ;)

    As for writing, since you mention Sarah Hoyt, I just finished reading her 3 mysteries written under the name Elise Hyatt - OMG they were hilarious. I will have to check out her Sci-fi stories now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd track down everyone in obamas cabinet and buy them some of the best cocaine they ever had and put just a little bit of mercury in it.

    Hale

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few judiciously (or a lot of) administered dope slaps at critical junctures would've done me a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another thing: timely few a words about (placement) words and comments parenthetical.

    ReplyDelete