Monday, March 25, 2013

An Honest Question

From Spootville:
If I remember rightly, one of my first blog posts was to point out that we could balance the federal budget by eliminating all welfare and giving each of the poorest Americans a check for $40,000 each year. That would be cheaper than what we are doing now, and yet we have more poor people.
First, I'm taking this completely out of context, and Spoot is ONLY making the point of cost.

But... when I see words saying we should give the poor $40,000 a year, my visceral reaction is "WHY?"

I've had jobs that paid $40,000 a year. In exchange for that, I've had to drive through blizzards, work at least 8 hours a day, plus give up plenty of random nights & weekends because my employer "needed" me.

And yet it would be an *improvement* to our current system to give "poor" people $40,000 a year to do... what? Promise not to kill us in our sleep?

Forget the poor. This isn't charity. This isn't even welfare. This is extortion and grand larceny. My sympathy bucket is empty and dry.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go quell the urge to start strangling HHS employees.

2 comments:

  1. My family & I could live quite well off of $40k/year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first argument is about efficiently wasting your money, vice inefficiently doing it. you really have to ponder how that makes you better off. And if you could give it away more efficiently, there would be more people holding their hands out for it. Though I think we would hve to import more poor people from other countries to accomplish that. I believe all of our poor people are already pretty well covered.

    ReplyDelete