Saturday, March 30, 2013

Science!

So, Anonymiss told me how to keep my kitchen sponge from getting all icky & stinky by rinsing all the soap out of it, squeezing it dry, and putting it in the microwave for 1 minute to sterilize it.

It's a great idea, but the thing that bugged me about it is that if you rinse out all the soap from the sponge and squeeze it dry, you waste the soap that was still in the sponge.

As an experiment, I didn't squeeze out the sponge at all, and put in right in the microwave.

Turns out that when you boil soapy water in a sponge, it creates a bunch of suds.

On the bright side, wiping the suds up means I just cleaned my microwave with hot, soapy water. That's a GOOD thing, right?

Anyway, the sponge was steaming hot, so I'm pretty sure it's sterile now.

6 comments:

  1. You tried to improve upon advice that I gave you?

    I hope you remember how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to just have fun... buy some ivory soap and microwave it. Your microwave will smell great and you'll be surprised at what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will we need a new microwave after the fun part?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you will not need a new microwave. There is so much air and water in ivory soap that it blows up like a big balloon. But does not damage the microwave. Just cool because it does not melt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And when I run out of Ivory soap, I can always go back to microwaving CDs.

    Sparkly!

    ReplyDelete