Sunday, October 27, 2013

Best Weekend in a Long, Long Time

I've got a lot of nieces & nephews (7 brothers & sisters will do that to a fella), but I do have a favorite - that's my sister's boy Michael. Since I was the youngest of the family, it ended up that he's only about 10 years younger than me.

We're very much alike, him and I. And we're very close, despite the fact that he lives about 300 miles away. He's one of a very small handful of people I feel comfortable talking to about ANYTHING.

As luck would have it, he married Sarah, who also numbers among that very small handful.

They also have a son, Derrick, who is a little too young (12) for me to talk to about a lot of stuff, but he's practically a clone of his father, and I'm very proud of the way he's turned out so far.

Anyway, I didn't get to visit them last year, because I was too busy getting divorced.

This weekend, I made the drive up.

I can't begin to describe how awesome it feels to spend a couple days surrounded by people who love me unconditionally.

So while I was there, I had the chance to talk to them a LOT. Mostly about my divorce. I filled them in on the details of which they were unaware, and I also reassured them that while I was sad that my marriage ended, I did not consider it tragic, and I was happy and healthy, and eager to move on with my life.

And... I also got to tell them something I hadn't shared with anyone else because - on the face of it - it kinda sounds more than a little insane.

It's a sort of offbeat idea that occurred to me about 3 months after my divorce. It's a plan I've been kicking around in my head (and working on in the real world) for about 7 months now.

So, after telling them that I was probably crazy for thinking this, I told them my plan in one sentence, followed by "that's the short version. I can either tell you the long version and try to explain why I'm NOT insane, or you can just say 'Huh. Uncle Harvey's insane now. That's nice. Wanna go watch something on Netflix?' I'm good either way."

The dear, sweet people chose the former.

So I spent a couple hours explaining in detail what I'd been doing for the last 7 months, and how I thought this plan could work. They asked me a bunch of questions, did their best to wrap their heads around it, and offered their best advice.

Their opinions can be fairly summed up by a couple quotes:

Michael: "Harvey, I've known you for a LONG time... you don't do insane things. If you think this could work, I say go for it".

Sarah: "Yup. The worst thing that could happen is that you'll find something out about yourself."

So, with their love and support in hand, I will venture forward with this insane plan of mine.

As to what it is... well... maybe I'll blog about it after I can figure out a way to explain it in one sentence without sounding like an utter loon.

Wish me luck.

(Special note to my baking coach - the 3 dozen Cowboy Cookies I brought up for them were a big hit, and were half gone before I left. Thanks for helping me get the recipe dialed in)

24 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are home safe and sound and had a good trip.

    If anybody deserves it, it's you. :)

    Who's the baking coach? The orange zest gal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I think about it, the "baking coach" story is probably another one that's too insane for one sentence...

    But yeah, it's Orange Zest Gal:

    http://badexample2.blogspot.com/2013/09/extreeeeeeme-cooking.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) By the way, the very best of luck with your crazy plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luck's got nothing to do with it.

    As someone once said (paraphrased slightly): "it's up to me".

    Thanks for your support, though. It literally means more to me than I can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) You're making me awfully curious to hear details...

    It's a good thing I'm not a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're a LITTLE cat, though...

    Maybe you're just a kitten :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok. I must be...

    Because I'm really intrigued by what you could "learn about yourself"...

    I'm also really perplexed by this: you enjoy and connect with these people so well and live a mere few hundred miles apart...Why don't you see them more often?

    Silly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I could learn is whether crazy-plan is really what I wanted or if it's just what I *thought* I wanted.

    I've had two big ideas (law school & marriage) end with "don't want". But had I not given them both my best efforts, I'd never have *known* they weren't what I wanted, and I'd still be wondering "what if".

    The blogging thing, on the other hand, worked out fantastic. It really IS what I'm passionate about, and now I do it for a living.

    Crazy-idea is something else I think I could be passionate about. I'm a little scared to try it, but I also think it would haunt me if I didn't go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So despite your fears, you're going to "venture forward"? :)

    Sounds brave.

    Do you have a first step?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not exactly a "first" step - I've been poking at this for 7 months.

    Anyway, now that I passed the insanity-check, I need to ponder on the next step.

    Like I said, it's... complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you are going gay?

    Good luck with that.

    --Hale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, I plan to be a lot more cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial, sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling, chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, and blithe.

    Wait... does that word have another meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know, I've already got a full plate with all that other stuff.

    I think I'll hire someone else to do that one for me.

    Know any qualified applicants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm celebrate-y!

      I also am in need of a job. I hope this pays well :)

      Delete
  14. Writing a resume sounds like an awful lot of work... :P

    You sure you don't wanna just hire me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't just hire you blind.

    Do something celebratey, like a cartwheel or something

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm? What?

    Oh, sorry...wasn't paying attention...

    Try again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As soon as you're available :-)

    ReplyDelete