Thursday, October 31, 2013

e e cummings wasn't spanked enough as a child

Why would you express a sentiment this beautiful without the proper use of capitalization or spacing?:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
Still a nice poem, despite the formatting defect, though.

UPDATE (per Anonymiss's suggestion):

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)
I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear;
and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
I fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)
I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;
which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart)

20 comments:

  1. Love that powerful defies all convention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. But would it have KILLED him to use the "shift" key? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should copy it again, editing it using the shift key. Then we'll be able to tell which is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a pretty conventional girl. I like capitalization and punctuation where it belongs...

    But the lack of capitalization in the original makes me read it with a little less...control...I search it more deeply for meaning...I sense...he is overcome..it has caused him to abandon many formalities. I sense...urgency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I will agree with you.

    Mostly because I know that feeling oh so very well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.

    This must be some aMAzing lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me put is this way...

    You know those internet lists like "10 signs your woman's a keeper"?

    She consistently got A's on those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I didn't even know you *could* get A's on those! :P

    What are you two doing to celebrate Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're... not spending Halloween together this year.

    What are YOU doing for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  10. :( That's kinda sad.

    Well, I'm handing out candy to darling trick-or-treaters, watching Ghostbusters, but thinking of switching to Rear Window...

    and blogging about some pictures I just got.

    What are YOU doing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Humor-checking Frank J's new book.

    So far I'm 39 pages in, and only have one suggestion for him.

    It's kinda awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like all you need is hot popcorn.

    And...Mint Truffle hot cocoa.

    And...a crackling fire.

    And...I forget.

    What else?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like true love. What's keeping you apart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You seem to have an obsessive interest in my love life. Maybe you should watch a nice romantic comedy instead of Rear Window :-P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here, try this... *flips through collection*

    Catch!

    *tosses DVD of "Bringing Up Baby" at Anonymiss*

    So, to answer your question - her leopard doesn't like me :-P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you met her mother yet? That's how you really know if she is a keeper. Imagine yourself with her mother in 20 years.

    And the poetry has too much metaphor for my tastes. I prefer literature that reads like a tech manual. Insert tab A into slot B. Torque IAW factory specs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rear Window is an incredible love story. Cummings was a good poet but a better pitchman. He used some actual writing skill and combined it with an unusual style to become popular. Contrast his work, which you find wonderful if it is only capitalized and punctuated, with Gertrude Stein, and you appreciate his genius. Ain't nothing can be done with Stein to make it not bilious and stupid.

    Me, I always wanted to read the "Speciment" mentioned here

    " Mi dear hearers don t beleave in destiny until you see it. Thar is such thing az manifess destiny but when occurs it iz like the number ov rings on rakoon's tale, ov no great consequense but for ornament. Manifess destiny iz a disseaze but it iz eazy tew heal i have it in its wust stages cured bi sawing a cord ov dri hickory wood. I thought i had onse it broke out in the shape ov poetry i sent a speciment ov the disseaze tew magazine the magazine man wrote me day az follers Dear Sir Yu may be a phule but you ire no poeck Yures in haste the Edetur"

    JOSH BILLINGS

    ReplyDelete