Thursday, November 7, 2013

Nobody Wants to Watch That Movie

Dateline Sweden:
Movie theaters in equality-minded Sweden are introducing a new rating to highlight gender bias, or rather the absence of it.

To get an "A" rating, a movie must pass the so-called Bechdel test, which means it must have at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man.

They also point out that "The entire 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, all 'Star Wars' movies, 'The Social Network,' 'Pulp Fiction' and all but one of the 'Harry Potter' movies fail this test."

Of course they do. That's why they're good movies that made a fortune at the box office.

Let's be realistic. If women didn't talk about men, what WOULD they talk about? And - better question - who would want to watch THAT? Women talking about men is the whole reason people watch movies.

Well, and explosions, but that's mostly a guy thing.

21 comments:

  1. Men LIKE watching women talk about men? Really?

    Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They keep hoping the women will slip and reveal the true secret of what the heck women actually want from men :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh.

    I just tell men what I want. Have I been doing it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not wrong, it's just different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, it's really weird, because normal women just expect men to read their minds.

    There might be something wrong with you. You may need professional help :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...

    that could be a problem...

    You see...

    I can't get professional help...

    because I don't have health insurance...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...

    Ok, how about amateur help?

    Lie down on this couch and tell me about your childhood...

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Snuggle my head in*
    *Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

    ReplyDelete
  9. *shrugs*

    *covers Anonymiss with a cozy blanket*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, soooo... you spent your childhood sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need more covers.

    Oh, and another pillow, please.

    That's what I need.

    Do you have any cookies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *fetches another blanket, a pillow, and a plate of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for Anonymiss*

    Heresolong - have a seat, this could take a while

    *gets another plate of cookies*

    *hands them to Heresolong*

    ReplyDelete
  13. *wiggles and stretches*

    Good morning Harvey! Mmmmm. Thanks so much for the blankets and pillows and cookies.I slept like a baby. :)

    *stretch and yawn*

    Now what did you want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning... and how about making me some pancakes while you tell me about your childhood... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea. I love pancakes.

    Do you have an apron I could borrow?

    Well, I was born at a very young age...oldest in a large family.

    My siblings would call me a bossy perfectionist. But someone had to tell them how to do things the right way :P

    What do you want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Left side of the sink, third drawer down. Can't miss it, it's frilly & pink.

    Anyway... I think we just found the root cause of you telling men exactly what you want, Bossy :-P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! For an amateur, you're really fast at diagnosis. So what's the cure?

    Wait. *You* have a pink frilly apron??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cure? Why would I want to CURE that? It's awesome!

    And of *course* I have a pink frilly apron.

    Never know when a woman might spend a night on my couch and want to make me pancakes in the morning... you'd be surprised how frequently that happens to me... :-)

    ReplyDelete