Sunday, January 26, 2014

Oddly, Not Hating Steve Carrell in This One

Saw "Despicable Me 2" yesterday, after it was recommended to me by a friend.

I was dubious, because I wasn't that thrilled with the original.

However, since they'd established Gru's character in the original, they were actually free to do something with it in the second one.

In this case they chose to do a take on the "didn't seem right for each other at first, but then they really grew on each other" love story.

Some weird elements are thrown in, because that's the nature of the franchise, but Lucy is just a more focused version of the same Manic Pixie Dream Girl character trope that Katherine Hepburn played in "Bringing Up Baby" (except with purple minions in place of the leopard).

Anyway, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and kudos to the writers for their reference to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers":

15 comments:

  1. My favorite part was Gru's "date". You ever had a date like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, normally I'm very selective about who I spend my time with, but there was one "first date" scenario where we were at Subway and my date started asking me probing, personal questions... without bothering to switch to her "inside voice" first. I was kinda mortified.

    We laughed about it afterwards, but it was REALLY awkward at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be exaggerating slightly for effect, but yeah, there was awkwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once in high school, a guy took me to a family reunion for a date. The fact that all his relatives thought I was his fiancee was particularity awkward... Because it was our first (and only) date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who... takes a first date to a family reunion?

    I was always more of a "movie & DQ" kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever was playing in 1984 & 1985.

    If I remember correctly, we had a choice of 3 local(ish) theaters, with 1, 2, and 3 screens, respectively

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a little too young for dating then...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100 "Best" movies of the 80's

    http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/1362/top-100-80s-movies

    I actually saw some of them in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See new post:

    http://badexample2.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-favorite-80s-movies.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's with the hating on Steve Carrell?

    Dan in Real Life
    Evan Almighty
    Seeking a Friend for the End of the Earth
    Get Smart

    All worth watching more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a great "first date" scenario. It was my very first date ever.

    The girl was a BIG Billy Joel fan, so she decided she wanted to go see Ruthless People, which had Big Man on Mulberry Street on the Soundtrack. Silly reason, I know, but she was cute, so there's that.

    Anyway, halfway through the movie, Danny Devito picks up the phone and says, "Debbie? No, she can't come to the phone right now. No, me d!ick's in her mouth." Then he hangs up the phone and says, "I love wrong numbers."

    All this is much funnier if you're not watching it on your first date with a nice, respectable young woman named Debbie.

    The second date was to a musical/horror/comedy that she didn't much appreciate either.

    The third date was actually a Billy Joel concert, so that one at least went well.

    But it wasn't a love connection, alas...

    ReplyDelete