Sunday, February 2, 2014

Better Than Hobbits

I was going to see "Hobbit 2: The Smauggening" this weekend, but, courtesty of Netflix, I watched a different 3 hour movie instead:

1952's "The Greatest Show on Earth", featuring a shockingly young-looking (age 29) Charleton Heston (I'm more accustomed to his 50ish version from "Planet of the Apes")

Very entertaining. I had no idea circuses were that much fun or that colorful. This movie would've been horrible in black & white.

Oddly, my favorite moment was actually recognizing Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's uncredited cameo appearance during a panning-shot of the audience.


The Greatest Show on Earth - Trailer

4 comments:

  1. Though I liked Charleton Heston as Moses, I'm not a big circus fan. I'm always afraid someone will get hurt.

    Will I like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and no.

    Most of the movie revolves around the color, splendor, and pageantry of the circus, and you'd find those parts delightful.

    Story-wise, one character does get hurt, but it's because he makes a very foolish choice prior to his performance.

    There's also a train-wreck near the end, but it's well-telegraphed, so you have plenty of time to close your eyes.

    And I'm not a big circus fan either, but the movie makes the circus seem more like the magical way you imagine a circus would be when you're a child who's never actually seen a circus but has only heard about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.

    When I was a little girl my Grandpa took me to the Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus. Grandma made me take a nap that day because we wouldn't be home until after 11. Despite Grandma's discouragement, Grandpa bought me a $12 program that was much larger than a magazine in full color, and the letters on the front were all done in glitter.

    I still have that program. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to RBBBC on a school field trip when I was... 6? 7?

    Don't remember much about it except that it was pretty cool :-)

    ReplyDelete