Saturday, February 1, 2014

For Topology Nerds

Klein Bottles - the Möbius Strip you can drink out of:

A mathematician named Klein
Thought the Möbius band was divine.
Said he: "If you glue
The edges of two,
You'll get a weird bottle like mine."



Now available from Acme Klein Bottle:
At last, Acme has conquered topological and engineering frontiers to manufacture genuine glass Klein Bottles. These are the finest closed, non-orientable, boundary-free manifolds sold anywhere in our three spatial dimensions.

These elegant bottles make splendid gifts, outstanding classroom displays, and inferior mouse-traps. With its circle of singularities, an Acme Klein Bottle can be said to exist inside of itself -- especially handy during time-reversals.

A mathematician's delight, handcrafted in glass

... from your Zero Volume Klein Bottle distributor

16 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to "drink out of" that.

    Seeing the Hobbit today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the mug, then:

    http://www.kleinbottle.com/drinking_mug_klein_bottle.htm

    And seeing the movie depends on getting the snow out of my driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you're at it, could you do mine? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure. I mean, you're right next door, so I can just do yours while I'm doing mine.

    It's not like you're 100 miles away or something. That would be crazy :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. While you were making excuses, I did it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *looks out window*

    Hey! You didn't do mine!

    How unneighborly of you :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making valentines. Moonlight Serenade came on the Nat King Cole channel on Pandora.

    I think I could use some twirling...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gonna need something a little sprightlier than that.

    Brian Setzer usually does the trick...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWcN5YxuYc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why does it have to be sprightly?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because if it's slow, I'm not going to twirl a girl.

    She might run away while I only have one hand on her.

    I'm a fan of the Pepe le Pew two-handed school of girl-gripping:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdBndu0YUM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh.

    Too bad.

    I like slow sometimes.

    And a guy confident enough that he'll twirl me knowing I'll come back. :P

    Hint: Pepe le Pew NEVER gets the girl...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You didn't watch enough cartoons as a child.

    He got the girl a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well...

    I watched the link and it made me smile. :)

    I want a guy who's satisfied with the same girl...well...forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want a different girl every night.

    I once met one who was a different girl every couple hours. She was kinda crazy.

    Not complaining, just observing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huh.

    She sounds perfect for you. What happened to her?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, she's probably somewhere getting WAY too excited about orange zest:

    http://badexample2.blogspot.com/2013/09/extreeeeeeme-cooking.html

    ReplyDelete