Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Being a Stay-at-Home Parent Is a Luxury... for Your Spouse

My niece Sarah sent me this one. It takes an oft-overlooked angle on the situation.

Being a Stay-at-Home Parent Is a Luxury... for Your Spouse

For the record, Sarah is SAHM. My mother was a SAHM. I've known other SAHMs. I don't have children, myself but I worked from home the last couple years of my marriage, so I can testify that this aspect of it is true.

I can really relate to this because the most valuable service I provide in my day job is not the actual task I perform, but rather it's that I'm there watching over things, and if anything goes wrong, I can immediately jump in and fix the problem. Problems never get out of hand for my employers, because I am always there. I provide security, safety, and peace of mind. Basically, I'm Batman.

And that immediate response aspect, with the consequent peace of mind, is one of the biggest blessings of having a spouse who does not work outside the home.

Were I to get married again. I would want to have those blessings in my home.

4 comments:

  1. I know a SAHM or two myself.

    That was kinda awesome. Thanks Sarah and Harvey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Your welcome! I was delighted to stumble upon the article myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad not all spouses view it as a "luxury".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad there aren't more stay at home moms out there. We are all too often viewed as obsolete like an old set of encyclopedias. Its a shame, because we are valuable in ways that are difficult to put monetary value to, and folks seem to look at the numbers and not the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete