Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Why I Like Rick Astley

I don't care much for his music, but I gotta respect this:

after millions upon millions of views, how much money has the rickrolling prank raked in for its star?

Well, as of 2010, he has received the princely sum of... $12.

This is because Astley didn't write the song, so he only receives a performer's share of the sound recording copyright.

Astley doesn't seem to have any hard feelings about rickrolling.

"Listen, I just think it's bizarre and funny. My main consideration is that my daughter doesn't get embarrassed about it."

And despite the prevalence of the meme, he has no plans to remix or re-release the song to cash in on the phenomenon.

"I don't really know whether I want to be doing that," he said. "I'm not being an ageist, but it's almost a young person's thing, that. I think the artist themselves trying to remix it is almost a bit sad. No, I'm too old for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment